This is part 2 of our series called SME Guide. In part 1, we saw how Raj faced challenges in managing CRM data in spreadsheets and how he could potentially solve them using right CRM software.
Raj continued to grow his business. He now wants to target potential customers with his offering. His newly created Marketing teams were busy in experimenting with multiple campaigns. Although there were lot of work done, the results of marketing was not there to see. Surely Raj faced challenges.
Challenge 1 - Consistent Customer experience
- Raj knew customers can come to your business from anywhere. It is important to provide multiple channels for the customers to reach out. He grew organically from a small single team of marketing experts to individual marketing teams for each channels with their own structure and people.
- This provided a new challenge where each team had their own plans with respect to customers which created inconsistency in the design, content and timing of communication to the customer.
- A personalised customer experience is only possible in a truly integrated campaign when all the different departments (marketing, customer care, account management, product) work together cohesively in all offline and online channels instead of being siloed in the customer lifecycle.
- A proper campaign management framework to schedule, execute and track campaigns that will help to measure effectiveness at each stages across all channels. Marketing attribution for each channels helps a business to focus on right channels which provides better conversions / results. This is possible through A/B testing of different campaign versions.
- Campaign management solution like Teleduce provides pre-integrated modules for multiple marketing channels. This gives cohesive data and customer visibility among marketing teams.
Challenge 2 - Single customer view
- Raj realised that when there are multiple channels for a business to reach a customer and when there are multiple devices used by the customers, obviously there will be multiple customer journeys.
- There were negative customer feedback about inconsistencies of data between offline and online channels. The information shared over a telephonic call with a customer service team was not available with the marketing team who is interacting in social media. No customer would love to repeat his needs for each channel. This directly affected customer retention numbers.
In God we trust, all others bring data - W. Edwards Deming
- To provide a consistent unified experience across all platforms and devices, it is imperative to track customer data and their different touch points across all channels.
- It is critical to have a customer database which provides a single customer view across all departments with the details about all calls, emails, sms, messages happened with customer in his lifetime.
- Solutions like Teleduce helps to track all customer related business communication at one place. They have modules like MBox (to track all emails), Lead Activity logs (where all Calls / SMS are recorded) which helps all the teams to understand the customer acquisition journey and all the communication happened in the entire customer lifetime.
Challenge 3 - Personalised Campaigns
- Raj found each customer to be unique. Some customers loved to receive SMS while others liked only emails. Gen Z users spent lot of time in social media and loved to see the updates there. The frequency of engagement between channels also were so varied. A customer checked email only once in a week while the same person was very active in social media.
- Raj’s teams were wasting lot of marketing efforts by sending the same content in all channels for a particular customer without realising where he is active and engaging.
- The content delivered by Marketing team should be personalised to the customer preferences and persona. The parameters like demography, location, behaviour, transaction history, preferred channel should be honoured while customising the message. Focusing on these details will not only help to reach them but will encourage them to engage.
- SMS helps to reach quick and urgent messages, emails for descriptive content and social media is good for visually engaging content. Knowing the channel and its potential will help to choose them for right campaigns.
- Campaign Management systems which are coupled with CRM like Teleduce helps in understanding the customer through campaign performance reports. This helps to create cohorts of users based on their engagement in campaigns across each channels.
Challenge 4 - Multi channel integration
- Raj observed that their marketing team sent messages in a channel multiple times until the customer has seen it. This was creating a bad user experience and customers were providing negative feedback and unsubscribing from notifications.
- There was no synergy or integration among marketing teams while communicating with customers.
- Focusing on customer actions rather than on the channels will help us to create campaigns which doesn’t restrict to single channel. A single message can be pushed in multiple channels to reach the customer instead of pushing to a single channel multiple times. A campaign can be started in a channel and can lead a user to take an action in another channel.
- This helps to increase engagement by optimising at the right channels for a specific set of customers. This is only possible if all the marketing and communication channels are integrated and measured centrally.
- Smart campaign systems like Teleduce allows to create and schedule dynamic campaigns using templates. They help to chain one campaign in a channel with another campaign in a different channel to increase the customer engagement.